BSc LLM MAICD
Brian practices in commercial law, leading teams in major acquisitions and commercial disputes.
He has a wide range of experience including advising stakeholders in business ventures and working closely with parties in dispute resolution and litigation.
He is involved primarily in settling strategy in consultation with clients and determining the tactical approach to be taken to address issues arising in the course of matters.
Brian likes to be involved in resolving complex and demanding legal problems.
- Working in-house for an Australian start-up (now Peoplebank) in London;
- Advising a listed company on the acquisition of the Emperor Gold Mine (Fiji) and its acquisition of an interest in Paniai Gold Project (Irian Jaya);
- Conducting complex proceedings in the Commercial List against the vendor of the Bellambi Colliery and its lenders as part of a six year strategy to consolidate his client’s position (now valued at $392 million);
- Defending a director from a statutory claim by the Travel Compensation Fund in recovery of monies paid to passengers following the collapse of Ansett Airlines;
- Leading a team to success against a subsidiary of Xstrata Coal in an arbitration, recovering in full damages and costs exceeding US$10 million;
- Representing a listed company in an administrative law challenge to the ASX Listing Rules after decision to suspend it;
- Prosecuting a claim against a municipal council for major building defects on behalf of a strata corporation;
- Defending directors against allegations related to the mismanagement of a charitable trust involving assets exceeding $50 million;
- Acting in the sale of a major rural property involving old system and crown land titles;
- Negotiating complex funding for a major building project exceeding $50 million by way of innovative corporate debt instruments;
- Advising on structuring of cross-border start-up venture to commercialise green production technology developed in Australia.
Bachelor of Science with a Bachelor of Laws | Macquarie University
Masters of Laws | The University of Sydney
Admitted as a Solicitor | Supreme Court of New South Wales
Admitted as a Solicitor | High Court of Australia
Law Society of NSW
Australian Institute of Company Directors
The Commercial Law Association Australia